In Memory

Phil Johnson

go to bottom 
  Post Comment

05/30/09 11:16 PM #1    

Buzzy Green

I sat within a couple of chairs of Phil in band for at least two years - maybe all three. I was at once irritated and jealous at his lack of strict discipline in band rehearsal. But I don't remember him getting caught. It was probably the rest of us who suffered from laughing at his whispered comments. But being around Phil was always fun. I would like to know more about his passing.

02/13/11 05:09 PM #2    

Dan Carlton

Phil and I were like brothers growing up.  Phil, John Plaster, Joe Roth, Vernon Johnson, Matt Brawley, Mark Warner all hung out a lot togther thru elementary and most of Jr High.  Phil and I went to the Church of Christ right across the street from the PHS.   Many of our closest friends went there as well, John Plaster, David Gyer, Jim Hollis, Johnny Epperson, Buz Ellis, Lee Waters, Winona Chisum, Judy Cox, Gary Isbell, Danny Hogsett, Danny Searl, Rebecca Douthit and Dwayne Mathis to name a few.  What a great bunch of kids to grow up with.  Phil kept everyone laughing.

The group used to come over to my house and play pool in our basement.  Phil was the life of party, a blast to be around, awesome sense of humor, great pool player, talented trombone player and overall the best friend anyone could have.  The first color TV I watched was at his house.  In Junior High Phil lost his Dad to a heart attack on a hunting trip.  He had to run five miles to get help.  That always stuck with me how much he loved his Dad and made me appreciate mine so much more. 

Phil lost a long battle with cancer of the liver.  Phil was living in Houston and received the best care possible at that time.  He waited several years for a transplant and according to him it was too long.  He undwent Chemo several times and I witnessed what it did to him.  I became involved in several cancer charities and groups that promoted organ donation due to Phil's situation. 

I lived in Houston and was lucky to spend time with him.  He managed a large furniture store and worked most of the time while he was ill.  He finally got a liver and the transplant seemed to go well.  He just never complained when around friends.  He was back to the old Phil and enjoyed several years before he passed.  I miss him and think of him often. 

go to top 
  Post Comment